If you have an old WPS work file on your hard drive or another storage device and you’re having trouble opening an a.WPS Works file on Windows 10/11, here’s what you can do. Then it would help if you read this complete guide.
Microsoft Work’s old file extension was WPS. Microsoft Works was a word processor until it was shut down in 2007. The.wps files were replaced by doc files, which have more expressive features.
Even though you can no longer use Microsoft Work, we have tested ways for your Windows PC to open a WPS file.
What is. WPS Work File?
- Some of us know what a WPS (.wps) file is, and some don’t. In the 1990s, Microsoft Work was used to write any paragraph, essay, newsletter, or resume.
- Microsoft Works was a simple word processor part of the Microsoft Office suite. The.wps format was used to save every document file that was made. It was beneficial for making a simple document.
- When full-featured versions of Microsoft Word and DOC files hit the market, Microsoft Works became less valuable.
- In 2006, Microsoft said the WPS file format would no longer be supported because the DOC format had replaced it. Which has more of the qualities that make for good writing?
- But Microsoft got rid of Microsoft Work in 2009 and replaced it with Microsoft Office 10. And now, DOC and DOCX are the file formats we use.
How to Open WPS Works File on Windows 11/10
After Microsoft Work stopped being made, we used the free file converter for Microsoft Work 6–9 to open WPS files on the PC. But it’s also no longer possible to use this tool. That’s why it’s hard to open a WPS works file.
But don’t worry; we have a few tools to help you open WPS files.
1. Microsoft Word 2021
Microsoft Word is one of the easiest ways to open a WPS file and look at it. But it only works in the most up-to-date version of Microsoft Word. When you open a WPS file in Word, it will automatically be changed into a DOC file.
Changing the WPS file into a DOC file will work well with Windows 10 and older versions of Microsoft Word.
- Open the latest version of Microsoft Office, as usual.
- Click the “File” button in the upper left corner. Now, click the “open” button. Find the WPS file now.
- And now go back out into the open.
When the file is opened in Word, you can do anything you want with the document, depending on what you want.
2. Microsoft Works
You might wonder how a WPS file can be opened in Microsoft Works if the WPS software is no longer available.
It is possible to get Microsoft Works on your computer through the Internet Archive. The Internet Archive is where you can get the unofficial ISO image of Microsoft Work. Put the program on your computer.
Once you’ve successfully installed Microsoft Work, it will be easier to open an old WPS file than with any other app.
3. Libre Office
LibreOffice is one of the most potent and well-known word processors that can do everything. Open-source is the best thing about LibreOffice. There are many ways in which LibreOffice and Microsoft Word are the same. It won’t be hard to figure out how to use its dashboard.
You can make documents and presentations, edit any file you already have, and do much more with this program. The WPS format is one of the file types that LibreOffice can read.
- After you’ve set up LibreOffice, open it on your computer.
- Click on the file and then on the “open” button.
- Look through the WPS file and click “Open” to see it.
The document can be used for anything. And save it in different formats so you can use it later.
4. Oxygen Office
Just like LibreOffice, this is another word processor. With the help of Oxygen Office, you can format any document, design any presentation, make tables, and so on.
It works with WPS files, so you can easily open WPS files. Click on the link below to get the software.
Now, do these things:
- Click the file button when Oxygen Office is up and running.
- Now, click the “open” button. Pick the WPS file you want.
- When you click open, WPS will open.
The dashboard and menu of almost every Word processor are the same, which makes it easy to open any file.
5. WPS to Word Converter (Free Convert)
Here are some indirect ways to look at a WPS file. We will use the WPS converter tool this time. One of the best free online tools is WPS to Word Converter.
You must change the file to a more standard format and open the new file on a word processor.
Let’s find out how to turn a WPS file into a DOC file.
Do these things:
1. Go to Free Convert in your browser and click on choose file.
2. Once you’ve added your WPS file, choose between DOC and DOCX for the file format.
3. Click the button that says “Convert.” It will make a DOC file out of it.
4. Now, pick a file from the list and download it.
Open the file you downloaded in Microsoft Word to see what was in the file.
6. WPS Converter
It will help you change a WPS file to another format so you can open it with any software. It only works with text and HTML, though. You can still look at it inside the WPS document.
- Start WPS Converter. Now click “Open” and choose a WPS file to convert.
- Now choose between HTML and Text as the file format. There are only two file formats to choose from.
- Now, click the “Save” button to save the file where you want.
- Click the button that says “Convert.”
Your device will save the file.
Here’s how to open a.WPS work file on Windows 10 or 11. You can start with Microsoft Word. Other than that, all of the methods shared are very useful.
Leave a Reply