Tell us how to play MKV files on an iPhone without converting them to another format. Matroska Video files are shortened to MKV. Movies are often made in these formats. They can store the video codec and several audio files and subtitles.
One of the best things about MKV files is that they are not compressed, which is terrible for video quality. MKV files also work with both complex code and soft code subtitles. Also, MKV files can support more than one language and can be searched better than other video formats.
1. Play MKV files on an iPhone without converting them
Apple doesn’t make a media player that can play MKV files on an iPhone. You must get a third-party video player to play an MKV file. Installing the famous VLC media player for iOS is the best thing to do.
I use VLC Media Player on my iPhone to play MKV files, and I’ve never had any technical problems with playing videos or other things.
- Open the store for apps.
- Type VLC into the search bar, or click here to get it.
- Then, tap the download icon next to it when the VLC media player comes up in the search results.
- Launch VLC after it installs.
- Pick a video from VLC’s list of videos to play it.
You can try many other video players besides the VLC media player. I use and trust the VLC brand. So, I’m going to say that.
2. Share MKV files from your iPhone to your PC and play them there.
You will use the same VLC media player app when I tell you how to share videos from your iPhone. VLC can connect to another device through a single network connection. Then you can play the MKV file on the other device.
Please turn on the WiFi network and make sure it works without any problems.
- Connect your iPhone and PC to the same WiFi network as a first step.
- Start the iPhone VLC media player.
- Go to the bottom of the page in the VLC app and tap on the Network tab.
- Sharing via WiFi will be an option on the same page. Tap the switch next to it to turn it on. It will make a one-of-a-kind http link.
- Now, log in to your computer and open your web browser.
- In the address bar of your web browser, type the same link that the VLC media player made.
- Press Enter now.
- On the Sharing Via WiFi screen on your PC browser, you will now be asked to enter the passcode for your iPhone. Could you enter it?
- Click the plus sign (+) on the next page to add your video file.
- Now, the video will be added to your VLC playlist successfully.
- Go back to using your iPhone.
- Tap the tab at the bottom that says “Video.”
- When you choose the video on your iPhone, it will begin to play. The same video will also launch on the PC browser and play on its screen.
- The steps I described above for an iPhone can also be done on an iPad. With VLC for iPad OS, you can share over WiFi and play MKV files on your PC.
When it comes to video file types, MKV files are the best. Playing them is possible on almost every mobile device. Although no in-built app is available for iPhone, you can easily play MKV files on iPhone using the free VLC Media player for iOS.