The Google search bar is helpful, but it can take up a lot of room on the home screen. Some people like seeing it there, while others don’t. Read on if you want to get rid of the Google search bar on Android. The steps are listed below.
How To Remove The Google Search Bar
You can get rid of the Google search bar in a few different ways.
It can be done by:
- By making simple moves
- Disabling Google Now
- Using a User-Defined Launcher. (Root required)
- Using a Custom ROM (ROM). (Root required)
By using simple gestures
Here’s the most straightforward way to get rid of the Google search bar on your Android:
- Go to the “Home” screen.
- Hold down the search box
- There will be a pop-up.
- Make sure you want to get rid of the search bar.
Disabling Google Now
Follow these easy steps to turn off Google Now if you use the Google Experience Launcher (GEL). Stock Android users shouldn’t use this method because it “soft-bricks” their device.
Soft-bricked means that the phone is stuck in a boot loop or has stopped working during the booting process.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps > Google Search/Google/Google app.
- Tap Disable.
- Restart your device
Note: Google Apps will also turn off Google Chrome, Google Assistant, and other features.
Custom Launcher Method:
The launcher is a part of the Android interface that works like an app and lets users change their home screen. There are different kinds of it.
You can use Google Now launcher, Nova launcher, or Apex launcher as an example.
Here’s how to get rid of the Google Search Bar if you install the Nova7 launcher:
- Go to Nova settings.
- When you first open it, you might see a notification. You can make Nova your default launcher by tapping the notification.
- You can also find the “Default home app” section and choose “Nova7.”
- Go back to Nova’s settings and tap the option for “Home screen.”
- Find the option for where to put the Search bar and tap on it.
- Tap None.
- Other launchers have similar settings, and it only takes a few seconds to figure out what to do.
Method for a custom ROM: (Root required)
This is the right choice if you want to get rid of the search bar. Just make sure that you have “rooted” your Android device.
If you use a Custom ROM, you can not only get rid of the Google Search Bar, but you can also control everything on your device.